Gynecomastia- This is a disease of the mammary glands in men, which is manifested in one-or two-sided enlargement of the glands.
There are gynecomastiatrue and false. True gynecomastia is associated with abnormalities in the body, while false gynecomas usually occur against the background of obesity, in which case an increase in the mammary glands is associated with the deposition of adipose tissue.
Also foundtrue gynecomastia, which can be considered a variant of the physiological norm:
- gynecomastia neonatal period- occurs due to the effects on the body of the child sex hormones of the mother, passes independently after 1-3 weeks after birth;
- adolescent gynecomastia- caused by the immaturity of the reproductive system, usually passes itself at the end of puberty;
- elderly gynecomastia- is associated with a decrease in testosterone production in the body.
- mammary glands (both or one) increase in size;
- the chest becomes painful;
- there is a feeling of heaviness in the chest or distension;
- nipples increase and swell, become sensitive;
- from the nipples are possible discharge.
At the first symptoms of the disease, you should consult a doctor or a surgeon for a consultation. Do not postpone the visit to the doctor!
Physiological types of gynecomastia usually disappear on their own and do not require treatment.
- set up and begin to treat the cause of disease;
- during the first 6 months of illness, doctors prefer to monitor its course without much intervention, it happens that the disease passes on its own;
- the appointment of hormone therapy;
- surgical intervention.
Possible complications and prevention
If the disease is not treated, then after a while it can develop into a malignant tumor of the mammary gland. If you suspect a gynecomastia, be sure to consult a doctor.
The best prevention of the disease is maintaining a healthy lifestyle, taking medications only as prescribed by a doctor, giving up any bad habits.