Finishing wood products - the creation of protective and decorative coatings on their surface. The tree under the influence of the environment can change the shape and size, burn out (fade, turn gray), insects (daisy, etc.) can damage it. To protect the tree from undesirable effects, it is covered with a thin layer of varnish or paint, it also improves the look of the products, reveals the texture of the wood, changes its color.
Safe work rules at work
- Wear gloves when applying paintwork.
- To apply coatings only in a room with good ventilation (a pair of varnishes and paints are harmful to health).
- In the room where the work is done, you can not use electric heating appliances.
- After the finished work, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, and if the paint is not washed off, wash your hands with vegetable oil or drying oil.
- The finishing of wood joinery is opaque, transparent and artistic. When opaque finish creates a film that covers the color and texture of wood, and opaque is used in the manufacture of windows, doors, kitchen and medical furniture.
- Paint and enamel are applied to the surface with brushes, rollers, and nitrocellulose - with brushes and sprays, water-based - with brushes, rollers, sprays, paint and enamel are applied to the prepared surface in two or three layers. Each layer is well dried and polished, and then put the next.
- At the time of transparent: the tree is covered with colorless materials. Finishing materials must retain or show more texture, for a transparent treatment of wood, various lacquers (polyester and nitrocellulose) are used, less often oil. Often, before applying transparent coatings, wood is tinted with transparent dyes, and the texture becomes more expressive and beautiful.
- Polyester varnishes are used only under production conditions, they form high-quality insoluble films.
- Nitrocellulose varnishes put with a brush and a tampon, they can be poured and sprayed; small parts are dipped in varnish. Nitrocellulose varnishes dry well, at the same time give a strong elastic transparent and rather weatherproof film. Oil varnishes, like oil paints, are applied with brushes and rollers.The film formed by these varnishes is more durable, elastic and most importantly weather-resistant, but unfortunately not so beautiful, moreover, oil varnishes dry for a long time: from 8 to 24 hours.
- To ensure high quality of coatings, the surface is prepared for finishing: they close up knots, cracks, fiber breaks and other defects, grind, ground.
- Varnishes are applied to a dry, dust-free, surface in even layers, about three to six times. After applying each layer, the surface is dried, polished, and then a new layer is applied. Finishing is considered good quality if the surface of the product has the same and even gloss.
Paint coating must meet the following requirements:
- To be moisture-resistant, heat-resistant and light-resistant, hard and elastic, securely interlock with the surface;
- Not have wrinkles, bubbles, smudges, be evenly glossy over the entire surface;
- To improve the appearance, to show the texture of wood with a transparent method;
- Cover with a uniform layer the surface of products of low-grade wood with opaque coatings.
Wood finishing - wood carving, inlay, burning, painting, etc.The artistic method gives the products a beautiful appearance; it is used in the manufacture of furniture, caskets, souvenirs, children's toys, and wooden utensils.